Friday, October 22, 2010

Where'd all my time go?

It seems like just a little while ago I had more time than I knew what to do with. I remember the phrase "I'm bored." Lately, though, I don't seem to know the meaning of the word. But a lot has happened in the last 12 years since I left school. I've been working a steady 40 hrs.+ a week pretty much since I left high school. I got married to a fabulous woman and gained 3 highly intelligent step-sons. The problem is, now that I'm back in school, where the hell do I find the time to juggle all 3? I have thus far been able to successfully juggle both the job and school, but lately have been noticing that I have had zero time left over for family. How do I go about fixing this problem?   Nancy Giguere of the Star-Tribune gives a few tips to help minimize the stress  and chaos involved:

  • Be fully committed. Decide to make time for your studies.


  • Don't let school work pile up. Instead, break it into manageable chunks. For example, read 50 pages of an assigned book each day, and you'll soon be finished.


  • Get organized. Pack a special briefcase just for class. Include books, notebooks, pens, highlighters and supplies such as aspirin, lip balm and a water bottle.


  • Take your homework wherever you go. Study during your child's soccer game, in the dentist's office or at the cabin.


  • Create a study space. Set up a table with pens, pencils, notebooks and other supplies next to your favorite chair in the living room or in the corner of your bedroom.


  • Ask for help from family members, other students, teachers and advisors.


  • Learn about student services, such as counseling or tutoring, offered at your school.

  • Over the course of this blog I will explore more ways to maximize extra time available for family and minimize the stress of the process.

    5 comments:

    1. First, how did you come up with "eviloyster"? If it's not to personal I am very interested in the inside story that came up with this nick name.I can fully empathise with you on this subject. I have four kids at home, a huge house payment, full time job, and am a full time student. I have absolutely zero excess time. In my case I have everything scheduled with home work fit into its own time slot. The disadvantage to this method became painfully apperant this last week when my truck broke down and I fell behind on my homework. Now trying to find time to get caught up is proving to be rather difficult.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Eviloyster.... hmmm.... it's a handle I've been using for longer than I care to remember, but it was spawned from my love of the bass guitar, or more particularly Les Claypool. Among other bands, he started a band with Tre Anastasio from Phish (was a huge fan at the time) and Stewart Copeland, the drummer from The Police (also a fan). So I stole the oyster tag, and just added the little bit of evil-colored glasses I tend to see the world through. As to your truck breaking down, I feel ya there. Our car is now officially busted, and it has been creating an issue of getting to/from school and work, thus straining the little time I do have. This in turn helped me to fall behind on my Comm. 101 assignment due yesterday, but I seem to have dodged the bullet, and wasn't called on, so luckily I now have until next Monday to finish it.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Just realized I left out the name of the band.... Oysterhead.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Thanks Andy thats an interesting story I appriciate your sharing that with me. I havent done much on the computer until recently so I havent had time to come up with something clever. All of nicknames I have, what people call me, are inappropriate for public use so I'll just use my name for now. I can emathize with you on the vehicle situation that sucks very much trying to share a vehicle. With any luck I will get mine back from the shop today. I'll be a couple thousand dollars more poor but hopefully I'll gain a few more horse's under the hood. I figured if the heads were off already I might as well do some upgrades.

      ReplyDelete
    5. Ah, yes, the unexpected car troubles. I've been trying to find time to get everything done that I need to get done, but little things always seem to chew up half hour here, half hour there, and suddenly I'm behind a few hours with a packed schedule that makes it impossible to catch up. And I like to watch football. I schedule in the Seahawks games, and if I'm not done with what I need to get done, I miss the first half. It's a good motivator to set "leisure goals", I think. That way, if you get your stuff done, you have a reward. If you don't get it done, you can sacrifice some leisure time.

      ReplyDelete