Thursday, October 28, 2010

Calendar Usage: Will It Actually Work?

I have come across several articles recommending the use of a calendar to try to balance my time out. This could prove to be beneficial, but calendars and I have a very slippery past. I have tried to use them before, but I always forget to fill them out, or even if I do, never remember to look at them later. But who knows, maybe it's worth a shot again! We are, after all, always growing up and learning new things, right?

I think the first step that I need to take would be to set a time each day, possibly more, to sit down and look at the calendar. The best times for these would probably be first thing in the morning over coffee, and any free time in between classes. I've got to do this every day though, without fail, or I'm destined to slip right back into my old forgetful habits.

Now throughout this process, it is key to get ALL of the different parts of my schedule in, or I could very well end up over-extending myself. Stateuniversity.com gives us a few of the more important aspects to keep in mind.

The first thing they mention is to try to leave work a couple minutes early in order to make class on time. I am quite lucky in the fact that I have an employer that already allows me to do this. Secondly, they recommend not taking too many classes, as this can set you up for failure. In some ways I agree with this, though I don't want to take too few either, as I don't want to be in school for 6 years. Somewhere between 13 and 17 credits I think.

The most important recommendations that they make, in my opinion, is to make sure to write your children's schedules into your calender, and to ALWAYS remember to put aside time for relaxation. Between work and school, things can get pretty stressful. Without time to relax, you are likely to get extremely stressed out, which doesn't do you or your family any favors.

3 comments:

  1. This year I chose to take some time off of school, and I'm taking only 2 classes this semester. I'm a little alarmed... I'm a good student... but I always wait to do things at the last minute. The weird thing is I have all of the time in the world. I'm only 19, I haven’t had to deal with any real life issues financially, but next semester I'm starting school full time. I really need to buckle down. I have A.D.D., and I have a really artistic and musical way of thinking. Time management and dealing with things such as a paper for class, or reading 75 pages a night isn’t high on my to-do list, ever. I’m young, and I’m just taking everything one step at a time, and I’m doing things when I want to do them, and I’m happy. I think if you are older than I am, you have a family, and bills to pay, you should still get out, and do whatever you want sometimes… have a little fun. When I hear someone is married I always think if they are truly happy? Or… would this person be happier living somewhere completely different, working some wild job? In the end destiny, real or not, wins in the end, and you do what you gotta do. I know I need to focus on time management, and I’m definitely looking into a new calendar for the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your new calander system. I haven't really implemented mine yet, but am looking forward to seeing some positive results. I think if you really try to set aside time for your classes next semester, you'll do just fine. I was diagnosed with A.D.D. when i was younger, though in hindsight I think I was probably just having a little too much fun, and not leaving enough of my brain for school and the like. All I think it really takes to succeed is truly wanting to. Not just telling yourself you want to succeed, but actually giving yourself the time to do it. Even if it means making a couple sacrifices in your free time (but not all your free time!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. "All I think it really takes to succeed is truly wanting to. Not just telling yourself you want to succeed, but actually giving yourself the time to do it.I like that response... "Even if it means making a couple sacrifices in your free time (but not all your free time!)."
    These are deffinately going to be some words of wisdom I will be hearing in the back of my head next semester... from you. hahahaha Good luck keeping your time managed... A.D.D. really is like having too much fun... I've never heard it put that way before... that makes complete sense though.

    ReplyDelete